Friday, September 28, 2012

No No for Homer!




Certain things in sports are burned into your memory and you always remember exactly where you were when they occurred. The Reds winning the 1990 World Series, Tim Krumrie breaking his leg and Lewis Billups dropping the interception in the 1988 Super Bowl, Carson Palmer blowing out his knee in the 2005 Wild Card game, etc. Homer Bailey’s no-hitter will now be added to that list for any Reds fan. While I was alive the last time a Red threw a no-hitter (Tom Browning in 1988), I don’t recall it…probably wasn’t on TV like the 1988 Super Bowl. No-hitter’s are cool to watch no matter who throws it. I have never had the opportunity to see one in person. Before tonight, I had never seen my favorite team throw one either. I never thought the first Reds no-hitter I would see would be thrown by Homer Bailey. In fact, I am having trouble typing ‘Homer Bailey throws a no-hitter.’

Homer has always been one of the more frustrating sports figures in Cincinnati sports history. A first round pick (7th overall) in 2004, he has always been highly touted with tons of potential (the dreaded ‘P’ word). At times, he has been brilliant. At times he has looked lost. When he first came up, he seemed immature with a poor attitude and he was thrower, not a pitcher. Over the last year, he has begun to learn to pitch rather than just throw. If Homer can find some consistency, he has the ability to be a top of the rotation guy. He has 4 pitches and throws 97+ and has a 3.75 ERA. 3.75 ERA is good, but, he currently has a 2.63 ERA on the road and a 5.16 ERA at home. Like I said, consistency. But, tonight is not a night to talk about his weaknesses. Tonight is a night to tip your cap to a guy that pitched one hell of a game against a respectable team and recorded the first Reds no-hitter I have ever seen. Well done Mr. Bailey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment