Saturday, April 13, 2013

Bengals Sign Scott and Pollak; Close with Smith…Alex Smith





The Bengals offseason has been quite uneventful. Resigning those they needed to resign (MJ, Newman, Jones) while also resigning some head scratchers (Maualuga, Geathers). Add Scott to the head scratching list.

Bernard Scott

It’s not that I don’t like Bernard Scott, I think he is a fine change of pace back and a good kickoff returner. However, with a draft full of younger and healthier “Bernard Scott’s” I just don’t see the point of bringing him back. He can’t stay healthy, so why not just let him walk, and draft 2 young RBs? I don’t know the numbers, and maybe they just brought him back for competition in the backfield, but at initial look, it is a surprising sign to me.

Mike Pollak

Yawn. To me, this signing screams two things: 1) the Bengals recognize they need depth at G (which they do), and 2) Wharton is either not ready yet, or is going to get cut. Either way, I can’t argue with this signing, but I am not going to get excited by it either.

Alex Smith

The TE Alex Smith. If he signs, I will add this to the head scratchers list. He is a veteran known for blocking, but with Gresham and Orson, I don’t see where he fits in. I liked what I saw from Orson last year in limited time and would like to see some 2 TE sets with Gresham and Orson. Signing Smith makes me believe they are giving up on Orson….or maybe preparing to lose Gresham next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment