Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A $72M "Slap in the Face?"


So Brandon Phillips called his bosses a liar and referred to his $72M extension as a "slap in the face."

If you haven't read the article, here is a link: http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/features/story.aspx?ID=2007148

This got me to thinking:

1) I am guessing if I were to call my bosses liars (especially in a public forum), I would not have a job under those bosses any longer.

2) If the contract was a "slap in the face" why sign it? If BP thought it was a "slap in the face," why not play the last year of his deal and see what was out there on the open market?

3) When I walk into work in the morning, I really hope my boss has one of those $72M "slaps in the face" waiting for me in my mailbox!

I like Phillips. I like the fun he brings to the game, like his swagger, and like what he does for this team. I do not like these comments. There is nothing more frustrating than hearing a guy bitch and moan about the contract they signed...especially just 15 months or so after signing it. And there is nothing more frustrating for hard working fans - fans making personal and family sacrifices just to watch a ball game - than to hear a guy call $72M a slap in the face.

I like BP, and with all he has done for this city and this team, I believe he deserves a mulligan on this one. I just don't see what he hoped this would accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment