Wednesday, July 24, 2013

NFL Helmet Rankings: 24-17

Count these 8 as the decent, yet not quite good enough group. Looking at #'s 24-17 there are some surprises...likely a shocker at #17.



24. Philadelphia Eagles


Strengths: They are unique in that they are one of a handful of team which do not have a logo (per se) on the helmet. I like the pearlized green.
Weaknesses: I thought they would be higher on my list, but the more I look at these, the more I think the wings just look awkward. They begin at the forehead. I mean honestly, who has wings starting on a man’s forehead? I don’t like the combination of the dark green with black and overall, they just lack something that is needed to be in the top half of the league when it comes to dome protectors.

Ideas for Improvement: I think these would benefit from either a white or a chrome facemask (I would go chrome). From there, a tweaking of the log could be in order.




23. Saint Louis Rams


Strengths: I like the unique helmets like the Rams where the mascot is the inspiration for the helmet design rather than an actual logo. With that being said, the Rams helmet is ok, but nothing special.
Weaknesses: Just like the strengths, I don’t see any glaring weaknesses. The biggest weakness is the lack of strengths and the fact that it just feels like it is missing something.

Ideas for Improvement: This is a solid helmet and I have a tough time putting my finger on what could be improved. I would like to see a pearlized blue paint and see what a gold facemask could do.



22. San Diego Chargers


Strengths: I love the bolt and these are much better than their old blue helmets.
Weaknesses: The dark blue facemask.

Ideas for Improvement: This is a solid helmet that could be, and should be, better. I don’t dig the dark blue facemask. These would look really good with a white facemask. The other option, and the one I would love to see, is to give these the powder blue facemask.
 
 
 

21. Minnesota Vikings

Strengths: I like the improved Viking horn and the new pearlized purple color.

Weaknesses: The black facemask.
Ideas for Improvement: Why put a black facemask on a dark(non-black) helmet? Black isn’t even one of their colors. This helmet would be much better with a purple facemask (just like it used to be). If they wanted to make a statement with their new jerseys, I think a yellow facemask would look good.




 

20. Carolina Panthers

Strengths: Overall a solid helmet. I like the silver helmet with the black facemask.

Weaknesses: The logo. It is not a terrible logo, but it could use some improved lines and definition like the Lions did with their logo a few years back.
Ideas for Improvement: I would definitely upgrade the logo. If they wanted to go beyond the logo, while I like the black facemask, I would like to see these helmets with the Carolina blue facemask.



19. Detroit Lions

Strengths: The upgraded lion logo was a good decision.

Weaknesses: Incorporating black into their uniforms (especially on the facemask) was a terrible decision.
Ideas for Improvement: This helmet should be higher if not for the black. I will never understand the reasoning behind teams feeling the need to get black into their uniforms. The Lions colors are blue, white, and silver, they should keep it that way. Go back to the blue facemask and the blue and white stripe. Get rid of the black.



18. Seattle Seahawks

Strengths: I like the flat paint and the kevlar looking stripe. They went out on a limb with these helmets and I think they did a good job.

Weaknesses: No bright green from the jerseys.
Ideas for Improvement: The Seahawks switched up their jerseys and went with a really bright green, yet didn’t incorporate any of that bold coloring into the helmet. I say go all out….rock a bright green facemask.


17. Pittsburgh Steelers

Strengths: Classic.

Weaknesses: A logo on just one side? I know it is unique, but not all things that are unique are good. A one winged plane is unique, but not good. I like symmetry and the one logo drives me crazy.
Ideas for Improvement: Flat black. What team could pull off flat black like the Steelers could. Despite my hatred for the Steelers, if they went flat black and two logos, even I would have to put them in the top 10 helmets.


 Check back on Friday for the bottom 8 of the top half.



No comments:

Post a Comment