Friday, July 26, 2013

NFL Helmet Rankings Part III: #'s 16-9

Happy Friday! As we sneak into the top 10, the helmets get better and the analysis (understandably so), gets shorter. Here is the bottom half of the top 16:



16. Houston Texans


Strengths: I think this is an overall solid helmet with a good logo.

Weaknesses: No stripe.

Ideas for Improvement: I would add a stripe. Below is the helmet with a red facemask. I think it looks ok, but I like the all blue better. I would still add a stripe.
 

15. New York Giants


Strengths: Nothing flashy, just a good, solid, classic helmet. This helmet seems to fit the personality of this team/organization.

Weakness: The grey facemask. Grey facemasks, to me, do not say vintage or classic, it says lazy (though if any non-silver helmet can get away with it, is this one.

Ideas for Improvement: Go back to the white facemask.



14. Indianapolis Colts

Strengths: Like the Giants, another solid classic helmet. It is simple, but good.

Weaknesses: I sound like a broken record, but the damn grey facemask.

Ideas for Improvement: I don’t know why Indy switched from the blue facemask to the grey. They should go with white (see below, it would be bad ass!). If not white, the second best option would be to go back to the blue. Either way, get rid of the grey.




13. Denver Broncos


Strengths: Solid logo, solid colors, solid helmet.

Weaknesses: None.

Ideas for Improvement: None really. An orange facemask would be ok (see below), but I like the all blue better...meaning, I really have no ideas for improvement.





12. New Orleans Saints


Strengths: I love the gold helmet with the black facemask, combined with a simple, yet solid logo. The best part of this helmet is that it fits perfectly (color, logo, etc.) with the city it represents.

Weaknesses: None.

Ideas for Improvement: None.



11. Chicago Bears


Strengths: Simple, classic helmet combined with classic colors and a simple classic logo (which also happens to be stolen from my favorite baseball team).

Weaknesses: None.

Ideas for Improvement: Another team I would love to see in the flat paint.


10. Dallas Cowboys


Strengths: Another simple classic helmet with good colors and a simple logo. Silver and grey helmets are the only helmet (according to my helmet rules) that can get away with the grey facemask.

Weaknesses: Self inflated ego that goes with the helmet and star. I am sure Jerry Jones would send me hate mail to see his helmet is only #10.

Ideas for Improvement: None.


 

9. Atlanta Falcons

Strengths: Ever since the Falcons switched away from the red helmets back in the late ‘80’s/early ‘90’s, I have loved their helmets. I love the black helmet with the black facemask and I love the logo.
Weaknesses: I would like to see some sort of stripe.
Ideas for Improvement: I would like to see a red stripe, outlined in white, which starts wider in the front and comes to a point in the back.

Let the anticipation begin for the order of the top 8!



No comments:

Post a Comment